June 6, 2023
The national office of the Mining and Energy Union are looking to employ a National Legal Officer to be based in our National Office in Sydney. The position is being offered on a fixed term period of 12 months.
This is an excellent opportunity for a newly or recently admitted lawyer with limited experience.
The successful applicant will work as part of an experienced, highly competent and supportive in-house legal team under the day-to-day supervision of the National Legal Director.
The successful applicant will be motivated to establish a career as an advocate for working people, and looking for an opportunity to do so with an excellent in-house legal team and a Union which invests in strategic litigation.
- A commitment to unionism and a belief in social justice.
- A law degree and a practising certificate recognised in New South Wales (or eligibility to obtain same).
- Motivation to build a career as an advocate for working people.
- Some knowledge of Australian industrial relations, labour law and employment law.
- Willingness to learn and take feedback.
- Capacity to complete allocated tasks within set time period.
- Ability to use plain English when communicating complex legal issues.
- Capacity to exercise good judgement, and work within a team environment.
- Prior experience in industrial and employment tribunals and courts, including as an Associate or the like.
- Previous experience working for a trade union or labour law firm.
- Prior involvement in the labour movement or progressive community organisations.
- The ability to conduct high-level legal research.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
Employment conditions will be subject to a collective agreement that provides amongst the best salary, superannuation and conditions of employment of any equivalent role in the union movement. Full details of proposed salary and entitlements will be provided to short-listed applicants.
The position of National Legal Officer with the Mining & Energy Union represents an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated newly or recently admitted lawyer.
Wherever practical, we attempt to provide flexible work arrangements to enable employees to meet their family and community responsibilities. The position is to commence as soon as practicable, subject to the availability of the successful applicant. Please note that occasional travel may be required.
How to apply
Applications consisting of a cover letter, which addresses the essential requirements and desirable attributes, and a resume/CV should be sent via email to [email protected]
Applications close at 4pm on 9 June 2023.